Accidents taboo in world of perfect parenting Parents left feeling inadequate after reading posts on Facebook and Instagram reveal they would not be willing to admit to their child suffering a serious accident for fear of being judged on social media. New research out today from the Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT) reveals that nearly…
Parents too scared of social media judgement to admit their child had an accident
Accidents taboo in world of perfect parenting
Parents left feeling inadequate after reading posts on Facebook and Instagram reveal they would not be willing to admit to their child suffering a serious accident for fear of being judged on social media.
New research out today from the Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT) reveals that nearly three quarters (71%) of parents now feel under too much pressure to be ‘perfect parents’, with one in three (35%) unwilling to admit to an accident or near miss for fear of being judged. Pressure from other parents’ posts on Facebook and Instagram just adds to the upset for parents, with nearly half (48%) feeling they are not good enough parents.
Young parents are most vulnerable to social media pressures to be perfect (85%), with almost half (46%) not wanting other people to know about their child having an accident.
And while nearly three quarters (72%) of parents worry about their child having an accident, two in five (41%) would not want to admit it, if they were the only parent who appeared not to know about a risk to their child.
Katrina Phillips, Chief Executive of the Child Accident Prevention Trust, said:
“Parents are living under a social media microscope, too scared to admit to less than Pinterest-perfect parenting for fear of being judged. This has worrying consequences for child safety. If parents no longer feel able to share their experiences or admit what they don’t know, we lose the chance to learn from each other and stop serious accidents to children.”
One parent has bravely decided to speak out. George Asan’s two year-old daughter Francesca died in 2016 after a button battery she swallowed became lodged in her throat and burned through, causing devastating internal bleeding. George is supporting Child Safety Week, which launches today, to highlight the real risks to children and the simple things that families can do to stop their children suffering a serious accident. George said:
“It is very hard for me to talk about losing Francesca, but I hope that by talking about Francesca’s death it will encourage other families to talk about accidents and ask questions about what they can do to stop them happening to their own children.”